Do you need help getting started?
Taking action on an idea can be tough. But why?
Because of resistance. Whenever we strive to achieve something great, an invisible force tries to stop us dead in our tracks.
This force of nature is called resistance and it affects everyone, no matter how successful or unsuccessful you are.
This is why a lot of people who talk about doing cool stuff never actually get their ideas off the ground.
Trust me, I know. I spent most of my life hatching up half-baked ideas. I would then tell them to all my friends and family, explaining why it was the greatest idea ever and why they should get in with me on the ground floor.
Needless to say, I quickly earned a reputation as nothing more than a talker. And eventually, everyone stopped taking my ideas seriously. They knew I never followed through.
Fortunately, I broke myself out of this nasty cycle. And believe me – it was worth it. Once I proved to myself I could stick with just one idea, that belief began to carry into all areas of my life.
The trick to doing this is to overcome resistance.
If you are a writer, artist, entrepreneur, or trying to achieve anything of importance, this book is a must-read. It’s short and can be read in a couple hours, but the ideas will linger with you.
And when you inevitably get stuck facing resistance, this book will show you how to beat it.
Here are my favorite quotes from this incredible manifesto on getting past resistance to achieve your goals.
Do the Work Quotes
1. Start before you’re ready. Don’t prepare. Begin.
2. Courage begets more courage.
3. Don’t think. Act.
4. Research can become resistance. We want to work, not prepare for work.
5. The problem with friends and family is that they know us as we are. They are invested in maintaining us as we are. The last thing we want is to remain as we are.
6. If you and I want to do great stuff, we can’t let ourselves work small.
7. Figure out where you want to go; then work backwards from there.
8. The universe is not indifferent. It is actively hostile.
9. Stay stupid. Follow your unconventional heart.
10. I stand in awe of anyone who hatches a dream and who shows the guts to hang tough, all alone, and see it through to reality.
11. Act, reflect. Act, reflect. NEVER act and reflect at the same time.
12. When we conquer our fears, we discover a boundless, bottomless, inexhaustible well of passion.
13. There is an enemy. There is an intelligent, active, malign force working against us.
14. When an idea pops into our head and we think, “No, this is too crazy,” that’s the idea we want.
15. If you’ve got a head, you’ve got a voice of Resistance inside it.
16. That our project has crashed is not a reflection of our worth as human beings. It’s just a mistake. It’s a problem – and a problem can be solved.
17. Our greatest fear is fear of success.
18. The only items you get to keep are love for the work, will to finish, and passion to serve the ethical, creative Muse.
19. We can never eliminate Resistance. It will never go away. But we can outsmart it, and we can enlist allies that are as powerful as it is.
20. When we experience panic, it means that we’re about to cross a threshold.
21. The problem is not us. The problem is the problem.
22. Shipping is not for the squeamish or the faint of heart.
23. Fear of success is the essence of Resistance.
No matter if your dream is to write the next great novel or just to get a date, this book will help you overcome resistance and make it happen.
Either go check it out at your local library or get it here. You won’t regret it!
I’ll leave you with this great interview with Steven Pressfield where he describes what Resistance is. Enjoy!
If you liked the ideas from Do the Work, check out this collection of Jocko Willink quotes.