I think you could agree with me that self-acceptance is much more difficult to practice than it is to talk about.
Personally, I’ve struggled with feelings of deficiency for most of my life. I still do sometimes but things have improved a lot. These days, I no longer spend much time comparing myself to others. And I stopped needing to prove to myself that I’m valuable by acquiring more stuff or climbing the corporate ladder.
What’s the secret to developing self-acceptance? I credit daily meditation for most of my progress.
In this post, I’ll share my favorite quotes from one of the leading meditation teachers in the west, Tara Brach. I hope these quotes help you on your journey toward peace and self-acceptance like they have for me.
Best Tara Brach Quotes
1. “Sorrow and joy are woven inextricably together. When we distract ourselves from the reality of loss, we also distract ourselves from the beauty, creativity, and mystery of this ever-changing world.” – Tara Brach
2. “Each time you meet an old emotional pattern with presence, your awakening to truth can deepen.” – Tara Brach
3. Developing an inner refuge where we feel loved and safe enables us to reduce the intensity of traumatic fear when it arises. – Tara Brach
— Tara Brach (@TaraBrach) November 30, 2017
4. “The ultimate purpose of inquiry is that it allows us to pause. In the space of a pause, truth can shine through.” – Tara Brach
5. “The beauty we long for is already here.” – Tara Brach
6. “Whenever we reject a part of our being, we are confirming to ourselves our fundamental unworthiness.” – Tara Brach
7. “When we stop to attend and see others as real, we uncover the hidden bond that exists between all beings.” – Tara Brach
8. “When we get lost we need only pause, look at what is true, relax our heart and arrive again.” – Tara Brach
9. “Suffering is our call to attention, our call to investigate the truth of our beliefs.” – Tara Brach
10. “In each moment, what we choose to say and do plants the seed of our future.” – Tara Brach
11. “Stepping out of the busyness … is perhaps the most beautiful offering we can make to our spirit.” – Tara Brach
12. “Approach your meditation practice (and your life) with an earnest yet relaxed heart.” – Tara Brach
13. “As we bring a kind of attention to our own conscious and vulnerable being, we become more alert to how all beings are sentient, how they hurt and want to stay alive.” – Tara Brach
— Tara Brach (@TaraBrach) January 23, 2016
14. “The more present we are, the more we realize we love presence!” – Tara Brach
15. “By honoring what has passed away, we are free to love the life that is here.” – Tara Brach
16. “With an undefended heart, we can fall in love with life over and over every day.” – Tara Brach
17. “Once we have held ourselves with kindness, we can touch others in a vital and healing way.” – Tara Brach
18. “When we trust the goodness in others, we become a mirror to help them trust themselves.” – Tara Brach
19. “Just as a clear pond reflects the sky, mindfulness allows us to see the truth of our experience.” – Tara Brach
20. “The only way to live is by accepting each minute as an unrepeatable miracle.” – Tara Brach
21. “We can decide to love life.” – Tara Brach
22. “Often the moment when we most need to pause is exactly when it feels most intolerable to do so.” – Tara Brach
23. “Radical acceptance is the willingness to experience ourselves and our lives as it is.” – Tara Brach
24. “There is something wonderfully bold and liberating about saying yes to our entire imperfect and messy life.” – Tara Brach
Accepting life as it is and just being grateful for all that it has to offer can open doors to happiness.
–#mygratefullife #acceptance #appreciation #attitudeofgratitude #grateful #gratitude #life #mindfulness #thankful #TaraBrach pic.twitter.com/PhA8lTffs4
— My Grateful Life (@mygratefullife) November 20, 2017
25. “Imperfection is not our personal problem – it is a natural part of existing.” – Tara Brach
26. “Yes is an inner practice of acceptance in which we willing allow our thoughts and feelings to arise and pass away.” – Tara Brach
27. “On the other side of fear is love.” – Tara Brach
28. “What would it be like if I could accept life – accept this moment – exactly as it is?” – Tara Brach
29. “When we put down ideas of what life should be like, we are free to wholeheartedly say yes to our life as it is.” – Tara Brach
30. “The boundary to what we can accept is the boundary to our freedom” – Tara Brach
31. “The only way to live is by accepting each minute as an unrepeatable miracle.” – Tara Brach
32. “Imperfection is not our personal problem, it is a natural part of existing.” – Tara Brach
33. “When we are resisting fear, we are identified with a fearful state.” – Tara Brach
34. “How you live today is how you live your life.” – Tara Brach
35. “The spiritual path is not a solo endeavor. In fact, the very notion of a self who is trying to free her/himself is a delusion.” – Tara Brach
36. “Happiness lies not in finding what is missing, but in finding what is present.” – Tara Brach
37. “We need only pause, breathe, & open to the experience of aliveness within us.” – Tara Brach
38. “As long as we’re acting out in anger and blame, we can’t heal the wound that asks for attention.” – Tara Brach
39. “Be the silence that listens.” – Tara Brach
To learn more about mediation and how it can help lead to self-acceptance, I suggest reading Tara Brach’s incredible book Radical Acceptance.
And if you liked reading these quotes, I think you should check out my collection of Sadhguru quotes. Sadhguru is one of the leading spiritual teachers alive today and has a lot of wisdom to share.